Sunday, June 24, 2007

Building Bug Canyon Part I

My intent is to make an actual web tutorial article of this project for the following Starship Troopers fan site: http://www.fednet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html
..but for now I thought I'd just share a bit of what I've been doing. As I mentioned, this is going to eventually resemble a dried out mud flat on a large scale. Imagine if all the water in an ocean or great lake rapidly evaporated away leaving a roughly level but deeply cracked surface..

So I started with a plan drawn out on pink foam.


This started out as 114 distinct sections, but I've since eliminated a few and combined others so maybe only a hundred remain.. All sections needed to be cut twice in 2" thick pink foam for a total height of 4" from the lowest ground level. That's a lot of cutting which was done by hand with an old kitchen knife and razor. I enlisted the help of some local gaming pals later in the cutting stage. One of them is also making a matching game board half the size which will have a crater hole as the dominant feature. What he's done so far looks awesome but I don't want to steal his thunder. Here are two pics of my boards with all the cut pieces. There are 28 pieces that are removable and overlap connecting board edges.


Here is a close up of the Roughnecks investigating the new game board.


You'll also notice that this is not the only construction project going on in the room..

No comments: